Musings of a Small Town Christian

David Hardesty is a Christian, a musician, a husband, an East Coaster who grew up in the West, a Southerner now living in the North. He's been on 5 continents, in all 50 States, and in plenty of places that blessed, scared or taught him something. Ambitions? To walk like Noah, play like Carlos, and drive like a Congo Cabbie. These are his thoughts...

Name:
Location: United States

Love God, my wife, the kids, my church, and Arizona Wildcats Basketball.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Travelin' Ladies

When my brother's daughter was born, he asked me what he should name her. I said, "Deniece". When his son was born he asked me what the boy should be called. I said, "Danephew". But I digress...

Today my Mom and my 2nd Niece are in Jerusalem. Mom's been there before (met her husband there, I think), but the Niece hasn't. I'm sure they're having an awesome time. I'm jealous.

I've been asked more than once, "Aren't you worried with all the terrorism over there?" Pretty much not.

1) It's not a big place, but there really isn't that much terrorist activity. Even one bomb a month somewhere in the country would probably miss them, don't you think?

2) Since they won't be going dancing or riding on school buses, Hamas will probably overlook them. Terrorists seem to prefer victimizing celebrants and children.

3) Even if terrorists are planning a hit, God is big enough to watch over my loved ones. There's a verse in the Bible "no weapon formed against you will prosper", and that's my hope for them. We're also told "His arm is not too short nor His ear too dull that He cannot save." When you rely on God, He tends to come through for you.

Of course, He doesn't always. Good Christians get cancer, or have car accidents or - yes, it's true - are bombed by terrorists. Last spring a group of SBC missionaries were killed as they drove to deliver humanitarian supplies in Baghdad. From time to time His servants, like Stephen in the Bible, pay the ultimate price.

And when that happens, we who love them remember that He is not only our Savior, He is also our Sovereign. And He is not only sovereign, He is wise. And He is not only wise, He is loving. If He chooses to let bad happen, He has the right to make that choice. He's the King. But IF He makes that choice, we know by experience and faith that He is indeed wise enough to know what's going on, and loving enough to not allow anything that is ultimately harmful.

Death not harmful? Nope. Sometimes it's the path to eternal joy. That's a fair trade.

All the same, I'll be glad when Mom and Niece get home - I want to see the pictures!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home