Musings of a Small Town Christian

David Hardesty is a Christian, a musician, a husband, an East Coaster who grew up in the West, a Southerner now living in the North. He's been on 5 continents, in all 50 States, and in plenty of places that blessed, scared or taught him something. Ambitions? To walk like Noah, play like Carlos, and drive like a Congo Cabbie. These are his thoughts...

Name:
Location: United States

Love God, my wife, the kids, my church, and Arizona Wildcats Basketball.

Friday, February 24, 2006

Blue Skies and Back Aches

Yesterday I got up at 6:00 and met some friends at the hospital; she was going to have a surgery and I said I'd pray with her before she went in. Afterward I worked for awhile, then found - all unexpectedly - that my afternoon was free.

:-)

Up the hill I go.

The snow was clean and deep, with a new inch on top of well-groomed skier pack. The sky was that amazing, clear blue that only happens in winter, in the mountains, when the storm has passed and the sky is washed of all impurities. It's so much richer than that lowland, hazy "carolina blue"; I think from now on I'll call it "Bogus Blue" (since the ski area is named Bogus Basin).

Not only was the skiing great, so was the skier. It was one of my best days ever. I was the blue-eyed love child of Jean-Claude Killy and Hermann Meier. Fly down Tiger and Triumph, Widowmaker and Wildcat; let it all hang out, and grin at the bottom. Pretty wonderful.

Except when I got off the groomers. Where it wasn't clean it kicked my little, desert-raised backside. For example, the chute (which I wrote about back in January) was that perfect, humiliating combination of dust, crust, ice, and moguls that left the people on the lift above me wondering whether they should laugh or call the ski patrol. I'm going to blame it on my skis, so I can pretend I don't know how skill-deficient I am.

But all in all it was a great afternoon, and I've rarely met any better. And hey, stopping to have a Snickers bar for lunch sounds perfect, doesn't it?

Today I was reaching down to check a heat register and WHAM! My back went out and I hobbled to my office like an old man who's lost his cane. Made for an afternoon about as miserable as yesterday's was fine. Fortunately, my friendly chiropractor (Erik Thompson, 208.853.2277) was willing to meet me - twice - on his day off. Getting cracked around helped a bit, and I'm able to move more now (even though I'm sitting here with a heating pad against my afore-mentioned little desert-raised backside). But I don't think I'll be skiing with the Missus tomorrow, as we'd planned.

Which all reminds me of Matthew 6:24 - take no thought for tomorrow...for sufficient to the day is the evil thereof. Do the best I can each day, deal with whatever comes, and tomorrow will be either better or worse... and I can deal with that, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home