Musings of a Small Town Christian

David Hardesty is a Christian, a musician, a husband, an East Coaster who grew up in the West, a Southerner now living in the North. He's been on 5 continents, in all 50 States, and in plenty of places that blessed, scared or taught him something. Ambitions? To walk like Noah, play like Carlos, and drive like a Congo Cabbie. These are his thoughts...

Name:
Location: United States

Love God, my wife, the kids, my church, and Arizona Wildcats Basketball.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

3 Sisters

Today I spent some time with my friend Chol. I don't see him often, which is a shame because he's a good guy. Before Christmas I got an email that said his wife, Esther, had been diagnosed with cancer and had only a short while to live. That, sadly, proved true, and she passed away at the beginning of this month.

Esther and Chol are Korean; he's a pastor and she was an on-fire worker for the Lord. When she started praying for you you couldn't understand a thing she said (hey, it was in Korean!) but suddenly you knew she was in the presence of God and taking you with her. Hearing her pray was a great, majestic, joyful experience, and I was always greedy and asked for those prayers.

When someone like that dies, you might wonder "Why? Why her? She had so much to offer!" But that's not really the question. The truth is we're all going to die, all dying right now, and it's only a matter of when and how we cross over the river.

I also got news today about my friend Martha. Martha is uneducated. Tough. Has lived a life as rough as Esther's was beautiful. Martha's gone through things that no woman (or man for that matter) should ever go through, but about 2 years ago she met Esther's Savior. And in those two years she has changed considerably.

I won't tell you all about her life (if you really want to know, ask me). But knowing Jesus and His unfailing love for her has made all the difference. Today she spoke at a Women's Fellowship, told her story, and got a standing ovation. She was probably blushing like a tomato. But blushing or not, if you ever spend some time with her, you'll probably be glad you did.

And of course, sitting across the room from me, watching a guy in a teal leotard and skates (on the tv; I'm not talking about myself), is the Missus. She's between Esther and Martha in age and maturity. (She's the prettiest, too :-) And, of course, she has enough patience and grace to put up with me.

Thinking about what Chol has lost (even if only temporarily) makes me so glad I've got my Missus. She makes my life better in lots of ways, from laughing at my corny jokes (that's an endearing trait, honey; keep it up!) to cooking delicious wontons to walking down quiet streets holding my hand to telling me where to get off (when I need it). I'm sure someday death is going to come for at least one of us, but I'm doing OK with her until then.

(speaking of death, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandma did, not screaming in terror like the passengers in her car)

Anyway, Esther - Martha - the Missus - three good women; each one intersected my life today. One of them never met the other two, but they were all sisters in Christ, and the world is better for having them. Me? I'm the most blessed because I've gotten to experience all three.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

David, this is a beautiful to three women. I appreciate it as I know and love two of them. What you say is true, Jesus makes all the difference in lives even those as horrible as Martha's. In her speech she said that if God can forgive her and her past He WILL forgive anyone. Just ASK HIM.
Love you....Mom

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home