Musings of a Small Town Christian

David Hardesty is a Christian, a musician, a husband, an East Coaster who grew up in the West, a Southerner now living in the North. He's been on 5 continents, in all 50 States, and in plenty of places that blessed, scared or taught him something. Ambitions? To walk like Noah, play like Carlos, and drive like a Congo Cabbie. These are his thoughts...

Name:
Location: United States

Love God, my wife, the kids, my church, and Arizona Wildcats Basketball.

Friday, February 10, 2006

A Hobby

Everybody needs a hobby. Mine is playing guitar (or bass, or skiing, or reading, or complaining - a hobbyt I'm breaking - or eating Mexican food, or playing on my computer, or ....)

It's best when hobbies can be put together. (One thing I learned in college is that putting things together is good. My major was Political Science, my minor Sociology. After a couple of years I figured out how to take "complimentary" courses - "Minor Political Parties" in PoliSci, and "Struggles for Recognition" in Soc; or, "The Constitution and Civil Liberties" paired with "The Writings of Martin Luther King, Jr."; then I could plagiarize the PoliSci prof in my Soc papers - and vice versa - and they'd both think I was a genius. :-D But I digress...)

I love music, and I'm involved with two online discussion music forums, the TDPRI (http://www.tdpri.com/) and the GPaWF (http://guitaristsprais.forumsplace.com) . TDPRI stands for "Telecaster Discussion Page Re-Issue" - a telecaster is the world's most essential electic guitar - and GPaWF stands for "Guitarists Praise and Worship Forum". So, see? I'm playing guitar and talkingguitar and get the best of both worlds.

So I check in on these forums every day or few, when I have a little time. After lunch. Or when the Missus has retired early. Or whenever. The TDPRI guys (and ladies) are really cool, and have lots of great (and sometimes hilarious) information about guitars. The GPaWF folks are less guitarocentric and include more spiritual discussion (things like prayer, writing better worship songs, encouragement, and the merits of chalupas vs chile verde).

Anyway, after lunch I was reading (and writing) on the GPaWF and realized I was working on my 300th post. 300! That's a lot of thoughts (or at least posts). That qualifies me as some kind of webcrawling fiend! Even if it did take me a year and a half. Hey, for me to think of 300 things - semi-intelligent and spelled correctly - is a big accomplishment. For this big event I owe myself a milkshake, and to those who read my posts I owe an aspirin.

So... thanks to all you pickers and grinners who make my cyberworld a little more interesting. I'm going to turn off the computer, put down my guitar, and head off to watch a hockey game (go Steelies)... maybe eat a burrito on the way.

Hit him again! (burrrp) TWANG!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home