Musings of a Small Town Christian

David Hardesty is a Christian, a musician, a husband, an East Coaster who grew up in the West, a Southerner now living in the North. He's been on 5 continents, in all 50 States, and in plenty of places that blessed, scared or taught him something. Ambitions? To walk like Noah, play like Carlos, and drive like a Congo Cabbie. These are his thoughts...

Name:
Location: United States

Love God, my wife, the kids, my church, and Arizona Wildcats Basketball.

Monday, February 06, 2006

World Champions

The Missus and I were watching the Super Bowl pregame yesterday when we saw something exciting. Now, it's not that 147-hours-straight of stats and opinions AREN'T exciting, but this was moreso.

Mike Holmgren is the coach of the Seahawks and (of course) was sort of involved in the game. His wife, however, had other things planned. Now, it seems to me that when I reach the pinnacle of my professional career (even if it's for the third time)I want my family around. But Mrs. Holmgren had arranged to take a trip, and it sure wasn't going to be to Detroit in February!

She's a nurse, and her trip was to teach health and hygiene in the D.R. Congo. And she decided she wasn't going to let the Super Bowl get in the way.

I've got to say she became one of my two Super Bowl heroes. Most of us would have rearranged things, said, "Well, I need to go to the game." In fact, MOST of us are happy to cancel things if a "better option" comes along. (I once had a date cancel on me because her roommates were making spaghetti. I guess she really liked spaghetti. Or..... never mind.) But Mrs. Holmgren said "Super Bowl or humidity, bugs, squat toilets, and disease? I'll take the Congo for 1000, Alec." What a woman!

My other hero was her husband. He was all in favor of her going. Sure, she could have looked at the calendar before she booked her trip. Sure, it would be nice to have her along (especially after the Seahawks lost). But Coach Mike was fine with her going, and in fact supportive.

The Holmgrens are Believers (that is, they have chosen to believe that Jesus Christ is the Lord, trusted Him to forgive their sins, and try to serve Him with their lives). I like to think that when big decisions come to this Believer (or little ones, for that matter) I'll choose as well as they did. They are champs, no matter what the score of that other game was.

1 Comments:

Blogger ML said...

It's not as hard as you might think. In late October, I went on a mission trip to help with Katrina relief in MS. For me to go meant missing my 5 year wedding anniversary. Luckily, God blessed me with a partner who understood what was really important. Not to say my marriage isn't important, but we could celebrate any day. Blessings,

ML

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home