Musings of a Small Town Christian

David Hardesty is a Christian, a musician, a husband, an East Coaster who grew up in the West, a Southerner now living in the North. He's been on 5 continents, in all 50 States, and in plenty of places that blessed, scared or taught him something. Ambitions? To walk like Noah, play like Carlos, and drive like a Congo Cabbie. These are his thoughts...

Name:
Location: United States

Love God, my wife, the kids, my church, and Arizona Wildcats Basketball.

Monday, January 16, 2006

Daniel

Today is my nephew's birthday. I only have one (after 4 lovely nieces). He is now six years old, an amazing thought. How can someone we've known for such a little time already be a boy - not a baby, not a toddler, not even a little boy, but a full-fledged BOY?

He is one of the funniest people I know. He always makes me laugh. He makes noises, faces, sounds, constantly, and every once in awhile says something totally off the wall. I was once carrying him on my shoulders and he said (very seriously) "Uncle David, you're kind of bald." Obviously, that IS a serious matter (yikes!), but I just smiled as I tousled his hair and said, "It's hereditary." He said "What does that mean?" I told him, "You'll find out soon enough."

He's wild, polite, smiling, goofy, caring, rough-and-tumble, with all of his 6-years-old-ness. He used to tease his sister constantly (like my little brother, his dad, used to tease me). Now he tends to play with her more than fight her. He doesn't like skiing or mah jong, but I'm hoping he'll outgrow that.

When I'm there and tuck him into bed, I always stroke his head and pray for him. One time he asked, "Uncle David, why do you always pray for me?" I told him, "Because God is my friend, and He promised that - when I pray like He wants - He'll hear my prayers and do what I ask. And I always ask Him to take care of you." That was fine with him.

We have a ritual, when we part. I hug him tight and say,
"Who's my little D?"
"I am"
"Who's your Big D?"
"You are"
"Whose team am I on?"
"Mine"
"Whose team are you on?"
"Yours"
"Who loves you?"
"You"
"Who loves me?"
"Me"
Then I hug him again and say, "Got that right!"

Happy Birthday, Li'l D! Love ya!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home