Musings of a Small Town Christian

David Hardesty is a Christian, a musician, a husband, an East Coaster who grew up in the West, a Southerner now living in the North. He's been on 5 continents, in all 50 States, and in plenty of places that blessed, scared or taught him something. Ambitions? To walk like Noah, play like Carlos, and drive like a Congo Cabbie. These are his thoughts...

Name:
Location: United States

Love God, my wife, the kids, my church, and Arizona Wildcats Basketball.

Monday, January 09, 2006

Criticism

The other day I was writing about prayer. Actually, the other TWO days I was writing about prayer. That's because it's a) too big for one day; b) important every day; or c) I'm long-winded.

My beloved Missus read the second one and commented, "That was good. It got a little preachy, though."

OUCH!! Criticism! How could I possibly get preachy? Express my lofty thoughts in a didactic, boring way? ME? Actually, the commendable side of me always wanted to be a great preacher, so we could say that "preachiness" is a poor attempt at a wonderful goal. Yeah, that's it. Of course, I should admit that my sadistic side longs to be a very dull, very strict college professor...teaching a required course :-p

That's right. When I start David's University, "Korean War Tactics and Uniforms" is going to be mandatory. I'm pretty sure the only way to pass will be to bribe the professor (me) with either lawncare or BBQ. But I digress.

I do think prayer is both important and difficult (much harder, say, than mowing the lawn. Or eating BBQ). So I thought I should clarify that in Installment 2.

And it was nice that that morning I saw the perfect example of non-Biblical thinking, the Today show promo about the NBC show "The Book of Daniel". Maybe you thought I was kidding (or preachy) about it, but think again: I have a nephew named Daniel and think the name should not be used in just any idiotic way! So for another perspective (better, funnier, and more caustic than mine) check out

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/05/AR2006010502423.html

You'll be glad you did.

But getting back to my wife's comments - preachy? ME? not a chance! Of course, she may know what she's talking about. She's heard me more than anyone else has, good, bad, and preachy. She's entitled to her opinion. Not all opinions are valid, but she's got some credibility. She may not like my beard (Jill says it looks good) but other than that she's pretty sharp. So maybe I should pay some attention.

Thanks, Babe. Good criticism keeps me from bad habits.

1 Comments:

Blogger David Hardesty said...

Thanks, A2006. Bookmark away!

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home