Musings of a Small Town Christian

David Hardesty is a Christian, a musician, a husband, an East Coaster who grew up in the West, a Southerner now living in the North. He's been on 5 continents, in all 50 States, and in plenty of places that blessed, scared or taught him something. Ambitions? To walk like Noah, play like Carlos, and drive like a Congo Cabbie. These are his thoughts...

Name:
Location: United States

Love God, my wife, the kids, my church, and Arizona Wildcats Basketball.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Wednesday

I'm finally back at work. Well, most people wouldn't call what I do "work", but it is what occupies my time.

The week from Christmas to New Years is a chance to breathe at the end of the year. I'm busy through Christmas Eve, then go to worship again on Christmas Day. The next few days were spent under the rain (with a dose of skiing), doing enough to get by and trying to spend time with friends. I also made lots of contacts from outside the office. Then, after going to church on New Year's, I spent the rest of that day hanging out with my family.

(Hey, did anyone else notice that it was a New Year's Day with NO college football? New Years has three purposes. First, it gives the calendar makers something to do once a year. Second, it's an excuse to eat the official New Year's food of your choice, from blackeyed peas to - in our case - Mama Hardesty's famous burros de chile colorado. Most people call them burritos but we make them too big for that. And third, New Year's Day is a moment for the nation to stop and pay homage to college football. Growing up, the TV would come on about 7 AM, tune to the Gator Bowl, stay on through the Cotton and Rose Bowls, and end up back on the east coast with the Orange Bowl. There may have been a few others thrown in there, too, but what's for certain is that we knew where we'd find Dad: in his arm chair, with a cup of instant coffee in one hand and one of Mama Hardesty's famous burros de chile colorado in the other.

But not this year. This year we were treated to the woeful San Francisco 49ers vs. the pitiful Houston Texans. That's like putting in a Who CD and out of the speakers comes Ashlee Simpson. It's wrong, it's depressing, it's somehow unholy. But I digress).

After New Years I slept late, then I and my missus went for a day of roaming and Chinese food, ending up at the 4:30-8:00 showing of KING KONG (if you'd like a review, let me know). But that night after eating massive amounts of dim sum, popcorn, an extra large coke, and italian food for dinner, I was struck with throat grunge, congestion that made me cough and wheeze all night. Lots of people around here have it right now. I didn't get to sleep until 3:15AM (amazing how pathetic TV is at that time of the morning) and didn't get up until 11:00. Thanks to the missus for letting me sleep in; thanks to my brother for calling to see if I wanted to have lunch (breakfast, as it turned out.) After three tacos with a side of habanero sauce I was feeling much better, and rejoined the parade of life.

Last night my band, Bright Red Tie, got together and rehearsed. We made progress on several songs, and my throat cooperated. We'll be booking gigs starting in April, so if you want us to come and play let me know. Just tell us in advance which you want, full-out rock or "Hey Porter"

Which brings us to today, Wednesday, when I was back in the office, digging through the mail, pushing paper, making contacts, digging the sunshine and preparing great plans for the future. Actually, GOD already has great plans for the future. It's my job - between answering phone calls from Qwest - just to discern those plans, and do what I can to help Him get them implemented. Life - whatever week it is - isn't about me; it's about making my life and world conform to His excellent vision. If I can accomplish that, it's enough.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I happen to like "Feelings"! Sure, it may not be as poetic as some other things, but it has FEELINGS.

11:57 AM  
Blogger David Hardesty said...

Hi! Somehow your comment about popular music post got put under the wrong post. I have no idea how that happened. But 'fess up - you only sing along with FEELINGS as a joke, right?

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home