Musings of a Small Town Christian

David Hardesty is a Christian, a musician, a husband, an East Coaster who grew up in the West, a Southerner now living in the North. He's been on 5 continents, in all 50 States, and in plenty of places that blessed, scared or taught him something. Ambitions? To walk like Noah, play like Carlos, and drive like a Congo Cabbie. These are his thoughts...

Name:
Location: United States

Love God, my wife, the kids, my church, and Arizona Wildcats Basketball.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Fillings

This weekend I lost a filling so I spent most of this morning at the dentist's office. Actually, I think the filling cracked a few weeks ago (it's been feeling kind of funny) and just happened to fall into the sink while I was brushing my teeth the other night (Hey! What's that? I don't remember eating any big chunks of silver with dinner!)

So I went to the dentist, who seems like a pretty good guy, had my mouth pried wide open, stuck with needles, drilled out ("Oh, there's lots of decay under there!"), and then packed full of something that looked like caulk and was squeezed out of a hot glue gun. I don't have too many dental needs (that was an OLD filling) so it was an interesting experience. Horribly painful! (not really; didn't hurt a bit except when I got injected, and even that was no big deal).

The dentist did a good job of numbing me. I didn't really feel the drill at all. Of course, I couldn't really talk in my 9:30 meeting because my lips were falling off my face, and at lunch with the Missus I had to tell her "If you see anything running out of my mouth, let me know." But I'm better now, thanks.

Overall the experience has made me think of the importance of brushing, check-ups, etc. I herebey resolve to floss, at least tonight, and maybe in the future, too. And no more crunching on popcorn kernals! The dentist said that there are lots of reasons some decay could have gotten in there and loosened the filling, but once it's in only a pro can take care of it. And, since I'm not a pro, I'm saying "thank the Lord for good insurance, and I'll do my part."

Someone said, "90% of success is just showing up." I'd say, half of life is thanking the Lord for the resources He gives, then just doing my part. Me and Him together - what a team!

I have an appointment for a thorough cleaning and check up next week, so I guess my resolution ought to last that long, anyway. After that - when the dentist is convinced I'm the perfect patient - I'll leave with a smile and go back to my old bad habits, secure in the pretense that no oral bacteria will ever do me in. :-)

Nope, I'm going to do it right. At my age, it's about time!


PS - HEY, two or three people have asked about leaving comments. To do that, go to the blogsite ( http://davidhardesty.blogspot.com ), click on "comments", and it will guide you through the process of choosing a screen name and tell you what to do. First two responses to this post win a free Christmas picture of me and the Missus. Good luck!

2 Comments:

Blogger eagle transalp said...

Are teeth really all that important to you? Just kidding. Great blog.

7:51 AM  
Blogger David Hardesty said...

Hey, teeth are rare; you only get one mouthful! And everyone knows, mine is a BIG mouth.........

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home