Musings of a Small Town Christian

David Hardesty is a Christian, a musician, a husband, an East Coaster who grew up in the West, a Southerner now living in the North. He's been on 5 continents, in all 50 States, and in plenty of places that blessed, scared or taught him something. Ambitions? To walk like Noah, play like Carlos, and drive like a Congo Cabbie. These are his thoughts...

Name:
Location: United States

Love God, my wife, the kids, my church, and Arizona Wildcats Basketball.

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Who to Cheer for?

I've had a long weekend. Not long, time-wise (I know, some of you lucky dogs get tomorrow off). Long in terms of activity.

My out-of-town brother was in town for a couple of days of skiing. The snow was perfect, an inch or two new fluff on top of older stuff, temps in the mid-30s, wind a little harsh but not too bad. I always warm up with a couple of runs down the beginner hill because my body is old enough it has to be reminded of what it's supposed to do bend, stretch, tips close, lean right, dig in, unload, touch your tongue with your shin, ease up, WHOA!, avoid the 6 year old weaving along, think kind thoughts toward the out-of-control snowboarder bombing by, look at the scenery, breathe...

After that, hit the hill harder and enjoy all the blues and blacks. Without becoming black and blue myself. There's a chute under the biggest lift, rocky sides making a narrow funnel that drops as steeply as anything on the mountain. It's too hard for me, most days (ahhh, that fine line between courage and stupidity!), but when the snow's right and not too many people have tracked it up..... we did it a couple of times, once to check out the conditions, and once for fun.
:-)
:-D
Highly recommended. The third time we went it was snowing hard and blowing harder, and since I couldn't see the ground I decided to not try it. So, to get down I had to find another new path off the shoulder of the mountain; it was a blast, too.

When we finished two days of skiing, finger steaks, apres ski drinks and popcorn, and finally got down the mountain, we found out that the football games had not gone as expected:
New England lost to Denver
Indianapolis lost to the Steelers
Da Bears lost to the Panthers
The Redskins lost to Seattle (OK, maybe not unexpected, but it would have been nice to see Coach Gibbs get some playoff success).

What's worse, my beloved Arizona Wildcats basketball team lost TWICE this weekend, and didn't look good either night. "Excuse me, what year is this? 2006, really? Um...what planet?"

Church today had lots of people out sick, but the sermon (Trusting God as Father) seemed appropriate for those of us who were there. We had a good lunch after.

All in all, a long weekend, with a long week ahead, including at least one big ugly meeting with someone I'm not sure I trust.

So, looks like this week I'm cheering for
Honesty
God, the everlasting Father
Dads who do good jobs of raising their kids
The Wildcats, as always
Shots on powdery snow down runs over my head
The Steelers and Seahawks. Why not?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home