Musings of a Small Town Christian

David Hardesty is a Christian, a musician, a husband, an East Coaster who grew up in the West, a Southerner now living in the North. He's been on 5 continents, in all 50 States, and in plenty of places that blessed, scared or taught him something. Ambitions? To walk like Noah, play like Carlos, and drive like a Congo Cabbie. These are his thoughts...

Name:
Location: United States

Love God, my wife, the kids, my church, and Arizona Wildcats Basketball.

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Christmas

I'm about to go to bed. Christmas has been wonderful; couldn't have asked for better. Last night we had a candlelight service at our church - beautiful (you really shoulda been there!) This morning we got up and dug into the stockings we'd hung by the chimney with care, then went to church and worshipped for awhile. Back home we opened the presents, then went to my brother's house for food and games. Now it's closing on midnight, and I'm ready for bed.

All my presents were great; all you who gave them to me were great; life was pretty great this weekend. So let me just say one more thing before I close.

John Lennon sang "And so this is Christmas, I hope you have fun." Deep, eh? And popular, too! But compare that with a little poem by Charles Wesley:

Hark! the herald angels sing, "Glory to the newborn King!
Peace on earth, and mercy mild,
God and sinners reconciled!"
Joyful, all ye nations, rise!
Join the triumph of the skies!
With angelic hosts proclaim,
"Christ is born in Bethlehem!"
Hark, the herald angels sing, "Glory to the newborn King!"

Hail the heaven-born Prince of Peace!
Hail the Sun of righteousness!
Light and life to all He brings,
risen with healing in His wings
Mild, He lays His glory by;
born that man no more may die.
Born to raise the sons of earth,
born to give them second birth.
Hark, the herald angels sing, "Glory to the newborn King!"


I'll take Charles. That's what it's allllllll about, and compared to that song the rest of our songs don't really amount to much. Not even songs by Beatles. So, my friends, my wish for you is that there will be peace in your corner of the earth, that God's goodwill may rest on you, and that you may sleep well tonight, safe in the arms of Jesus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home