Musings of a Small Town Christian

David Hardesty is a Christian, a musician, a husband, an East Coaster who grew up in the West, a Southerner now living in the North. He's been on 5 continents, in all 50 States, and in plenty of places that blessed, scared or taught him something. Ambitions? To walk like Noah, play like Carlos, and drive like a Congo Cabbie. These are his thoughts...

Name:
Location: United States

Love God, my wife, the kids, my church, and Arizona Wildcats Basketball.

Friday, December 30, 2005

The Little Things

So, Wednesday the rain was pouring. Today it was pouring. Yesterday? Nah... nice weather. A bit cloudy up on top of the mountain, but after switching to some low-light lenses I had a fun day skiing.

Of course, it would have helped if I was more prepared. Going down Widowmaker with 4 inches of powder is about all I can handle. Good thing not many people do it, because the snow was still in good shape. I was laughing all the way. Paradise and Wildcat are more popular, and they were mogled from top to bottom. Yes, they beat me up good, and my quads are telling me all about what an idiot I am.

But I've been called worse, and from bigger muscles than those.

(In junior high I got beat up by a guy who thought I'd insulted him. Well, I guess I had insulted him, I just didn't know the word I'd used was - to some folks - rude. So he jumped on me in an alley until I apologized. See? HE had bigger muscles, and called me all sorts of things. He was the only guy in MaGee Junior High who could grow a full beard - on his back.)

So yesterday I was skiing with a friend named Tim, from out of town. I met him when he was about 10, and he's growing up alright. It was nice to have him along for the ride; we talked about music (and someday I'm going to write about music) and ate great bacon cheeseburgers, and were ready to call it quits at the same time.

Anyway, by the time I got home I was wishing I lived in a jacuzzi, but since I don't I took a long hot shower and let my wife cook dinner (leftover pizza). Thanks, Babe.

Lesson: it's the little things. A day without rain. A change of sunglasses. A few inches of fresh snow. Doing a hard run well. A good conversation. A good meal. A hot shower. A loving wife. Not getting pounded by an insulted adolescent ape.

This is my Father's world, and it doesn't take much to enjoy it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home