Musings of a Small Town Christian

David Hardesty is a Christian, a musician, a husband, an East Coaster who grew up in the West, a Southerner now living in the North. He's been on 5 continents, in all 50 States, and in plenty of places that blessed, scared or taught him something. Ambitions? To walk like Noah, play like Carlos, and drive like a Congo Cabbie. These are his thoughts...

Name:
Location: United States

Love God, my wife, the kids, my church, and Arizona Wildcats Basketball.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

What I'm About

Welcome to my blog. The name - Musings of a Small Town Christian - sums up what it's about. You may not find anything profound (I can hardly spell profound!) but you'll get some insight into what God has done and is doing in one life.

I'm 43 years old, although that hardly seems possible. I've lived in 4 states, but visited all the rest, along with about 15 foreign countries. Got a fine public-school education (where I learned to spell profound), a BA from the University of Arizona, and attended a seminary in California. I cheer for people doing what's good, and people doing what's right. And the San Francisco 49ers, who could really use your prayers.

I'm married to a woman too good for me. I've been a cook, a pastor, a coach, and a teacher. Earned a few bucks making music. Play my guitar too loud, too long, and probably not as well as I think. My band, Bright Red Tie, is spending the winter learning new songs to play in the spring. Sometime I'll post some recordings which you can download for free, or pay me (whichever you'd rather!).

Now for the big stuff:
I became a Christian when I was 13, when I came to understand that all roads do not lead to heaven. Jesus said that He is the way, the truth, the life, and that no one comes to the Father except through Him. So (to quote C.S. Lewis), Jesus is either a liar, a lunatic, or the Lord He says He is. I choose "C".

For 30 years I've tried to be a Christian. That doesn't say anything about my political party (but it does say I try to vote in a way that pleases God). It doesn't say anything about my clothing or music (although I want to present my Lord through my life). It doesn't even tell you what church I attend (but it does believe and practice the Bible).

Do I consider myself a good Christian? Hardly. I'm so flawed my flaws have flaws! But I'm trying and, in the grace and power of the Holy Spirit, I'm making progress. God is good, and faithful, and I expect that progress will continue until the day I see the Lord face to face and He says
"David, is that you? I thought you'd be a lot farther along by now! But come on in - you're family"

I hope you're making progress, too. And that's enough for today.

1 Comments:

Blogger radioflyer007 said...

Awesome, David! Welcome to the blogger world of which I am an aimless and infrequent member.

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home