Musings of a Small Town Christian

David Hardesty is a Christian, a musician, a husband, an East Coaster who grew up in the West, a Southerner now living in the North. He's been on 5 continents, in all 50 States, and in plenty of places that blessed, scared or taught him something. Ambitions? To walk like Noah, play like Carlos, and drive like a Congo Cabbie. These are his thoughts...

Name:
Location: United States

Love God, my wife, the kids, my church, and Arizona Wildcats Basketball.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Your Top 10 (Part 2)

So, what do you want on your tombstone? Or at least, sung at your funeral? After I left yesterday the conversation went on a little while and some of the wits (half of them) came up with these:

WwwwWipeout! (the Surfaris)
Dead Man's Curve (Jan and Dean)
Another one bites the dust (Queen)
It's the end of the world as we know it (REM)
as well as "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and the Beatles' "In My Life".

Gives you some sense of the people I hang around with, eh?

But, anyway, I need five more to finish my own top 10 list. Of course, if I don't die today I may have different ideas tomorrow. But here goes:

"Precious Lord Take My Hand" (Thomas Dorsey) - because it is the sweetest gospel number ever, and I dare you not to cry:
Precious Lord, take my hand,
Lead me on, let me stand,
I am tired, I am weak, I am worn;
Through the storm, through the night,
Lead me on to the light:
Take my hand, precious Lord,
Lead me home.
When the darkness appears
And the night draws near,
And the day is past and gone,
At the river I stand,
Guide my feet, hold my hand:
Take my hand, precious Lord,
Lead me home


Yesu Azali Awa (African hymn) - because it's fun to sing, and translates as "we're going to sing to Jesus in heaven":
Yesu azali awa, Yesu azali awa,
Yesu azali awa na biso
Biso toko sepela, Biso toko sepela
Biso toko sepela na lola
Oh, oh
Alleluia, alleluia
Alleluia na Yesu


Forever Young (Bob Dylan) - A great song and a blessing on those who hear it:
May God bless and keep you always,
May your wishes all come true,
May you always do for others
And let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung,
May you stay forever young,
Forever young, forever young,
May you stay forever young.


"Further On Up the Road" (Bruce Springsteen) - don't we need some rock and roll?
Got on my dead man's suit
And my smilin' skull ring
My lucky graveyard boots
And a song to sing
I got a song to sing, keep me out of the cold
And I'll meet you further on up the road
Further on up the road, further on up the road
where the way is dark and the night is cold
one sunny morning we'll rise, I know
and I'll meet you further on up the road


"Dust" (D. Hardesty) - OK, I'm a little biased here, but it's a good tune that puts things into perspective:
We are dust, we are grass
we are made from the earth;
to the earth we'll return someday
but we'll rise when He calls, and we'll live in heaven's halls
Gloryland is our home someday
Gloryland, Gloryland, we are bound for Gloryland
Gloryland, Gloryland, movin' on to Gloryland


And finally, "Dear Friend" by DeGarmo and Key. Yeah, some of you kids may not know this one, but it's a perfect encore:
Seasons change, days go by,
People come and people go.
Though our paths may lead us apart,
They will meet one day, I know.
And I owe you,
So much, dear friend,
For all those treasured times.
For you’ve made me a richer man,
Having had you in my life.


OK, OK, I know that's not 10. I can count to 11 (or 12). BUT HEY, IT'S MY FUNERAL AND I'LL PLAY WHAT I WANT.

Hope yours goes well, too.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta love Precious Lord Take My Hand.

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home