Musings of a Small Town Christian

David Hardesty is a Christian, a musician, a husband, an East Coaster who grew up in the West, a Southerner now living in the North. He's been on 5 continents, in all 50 States, and in plenty of places that blessed, scared or taught him something. Ambitions? To walk like Noah, play like Carlos, and drive like a Congo Cabbie. These are his thoughts...

Name:
Location: United States

Love God, my wife, the kids, my church, and Arizona Wildcats Basketball.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Your Top 10 (Part 1)

What do you want sung at YOUR funeral?

That's the question some friends were discussing today. Pretty good question, and some pretty good answers (some repeatable, some not!). One of my favorite responses was Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here :-) Somebody else said, "Anything written after 2070." Also good.

So what about me?

Here are some (in no particular order) that I'd love to hear, either sung live, or piped in as folks mill about wondering "Why is he smiling?"

"Keep Me In Your Heart For Awhile" (Warren Zevon) - recognizing that I may not be permanent, but I'd still like to be remembered:
Shadows are falling and I'm running out of breath
Keep me in your heart for awhile
If I leave you it doesn't mean I love you any less
Keep me in your heart for awhile
Sometimes when you're doing simple things around the house
Maybe you'll think of me and smile
You know I'm tied to you like the buttons on your blouse
Keep me in your heart for awhile


"How Firm A Foundation" (John Rippon) - because Someone's holding on to me:
The soul that on Jesus has leaned for repose,
I will not, I will not desert to its foes;
That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,
I’ll never, no never, no never forsake.


"Be Thou My Vision" (Dallan Forgaill) - because I'm holding on to Someone:
Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light...
High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.


"Better Things" (the Kinks) - because I love and have great hopes for you all:
Here's wishing you the bluest sky,
And hoping something better comes tomorrow.
Hoping all the verses rhyme,
And the very best of choruses to
Follow all the doubt and sadness.
I know that better things are on the way...
I know you've got a lot of good things happening up ahead.
The past is gone its all been said.
So heres to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things.
I know tomorrow you'll find better things.


"I Love to Tell the Story" (Katherine Hankey) - because the Story is what it's about:
I love to tell the story, for those who know it best
seem hungering and thirsting to hear it like the rest.
And when, in scenes of glory, I sing the new, new song,
'twill be the old, old story that I have loved so long.



OK, there's five out of ten. Maybe I'll get to five more tomorrow. If I live that long. What's on YOUR list?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home